We’re 4 months into 2016 and I feel our lives have been turned upside down not once or twice but time and time again. That’s ok though. It’s all part of life. But, with that it’s no surprise that any plans I’ve made for the year have also been up-heaved and changed.
I had shared that I had plans to run the Grand Canyon Rim2Rim2Rim and Bryce Canyon 50K. It was clear in the end of February that Rim2Rim2Rim wasn’t going to happen due to the nagging issues I had in my hips. However, I had hoped to get on track to run the Bryce Canyon 50K in June….but that’s just not going to happen. The good news is that after a month of chiropractic appointments that include rehab exercises, adjustments, and ART I’ve made pretty fantastic progress. I’m thrilled to say that I finally feel good enough to go out for walk/runs. However, I am NOWHERE near close to running a mile nonstop, let alone 30+ miles. So, it was time yet again to get real with myself and make the call to rollover my entry for another time and place.
To say it stinks is an understatement. I feel like I’ve let my friend down yet again. I pride myself of being a loyal, consistent friend that is dependable. So bailing again is the WORST feeling in the world. Not to mention, starting from scratch is a beast. It’s never easy to start something all over again. And the weight gain I’ve experienced over the past 9 months? I don’t even want to discuss that.
Alas, setbacks are bound to happen and there’s always a reason. The Universe had given me plenty of warning signs to ease off…but instead I pushed through and carried on. And let’s be honest, the only way I was going to listen was to have the shit knocked out of me…which is what the Universe finally had to do. And here I am. It’s like a pyramid of building blocks that is busted, fallen, and scattered on the ground. So, I have all that is needed to build, the choice is mine to build it the same or change a few things. I think I’ll choose the latter.
Which leads me to yet another plan that was up-heaved….our 2016 vacation. While I had yet to announce it here on the blog, I had shared on other platforms that DH and I decided to plan an adventure to Tibet in the fall. The planning commenced. I spent hours looking at flights, figuring out what itinerary would be best, running different scenarios for logistics to make it all work, researching local tours/guides and signed up for a date. I spoke with a local company about acquiring visas and we even had our photos taken for the application. Traveling to Tibet is no easy task. You need a certain amount of time, money, patience, and adventurous spirit to make it work. We have the adventurous spirits, are (somewhat) patient, and were able to figure out the time and money, but for some reason we kept hitting roadblocks. We’d navigate one roadblock, carry on, and then hit another. But we kept reminding ourselves, this wasn’t a normal vacation, it was truly an adventure.
This past weekend we had all of our ducks in a row and were ready to book our flights, the step that would lock in our trip. However, when I sat down to book our flights we hit yet another roadblock. The cost had doubled. Keep in mind not only did we need a flight to China but also within China to get to Tibet. Both doubled. Not to mention, one of the flights was fully booked and we would have to go with a backup plan flight which wasn’t nonstop. This wasn’t part of the plan! We had the money to cover it all but I’d much prefer to have a little leftover for a starting point for our next adventure. We sat and tried to figure out workarounds…using different sites, different days…nothing worked. It was what it was.
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign. We all experiences signs. It’s our decision whether to be mindful or not. After the past year (see above) I’m choosing to be mindful. No matter when it happens, traveling to Tibet will be a challenge. But there were enough signs for us to decide that now is not the right time. Needless to say, with all of the time spent planning, when the time is right we’ll be ready!
So, it was back to the drawing board. My default was Africa. After traveling to Italy my new pipe dream became Africa. However, this is yet another location that wouldn’t be easy. After an hour of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole we realized that now isn’t the right time for Africa either.
And then DH hatched a master plan. Paris, London, and Dublin. Boom. I’ll admit at first I was hesitant. Don’t get me wrong, all of those are on my must-do travel list. The problem I have with Europe is that I want to do them ALL and right now. So, we look at Ireland and then say, “Well, we can’t leave out Scotland!” Or look at France and say the same about Germany. You see the problem. However, the plan DH came up with made sense. We’ll have the chance to cover a decent amount of ground…and at a price that’s well below our planned budget, leaving money for the next adventure. And most importantly, it felt right.
While it wasn’t the original adventure we had planned on we are just as stoked and have our our flights and lodging locked in. Fingers crossed this time around our plans pan out….because you know what they say about best laid plans…
Keep Smiling and Be Grateful =)